WMC Management Skills Training Program – What you’ll Learn
This page lists the workplace skills that you will gain by successfully participating in this course module.
Sales and Marketing
This module is designed for those in the sales and marketing field wishing to upgrade their skills and share knowledge and experiences with others, as well as people in other job functions such as production, finance, etc., who would benefit from a better understanding of sales and marketing strategies and best practices. The instructor is a specialist in marketing of wood products who has researched and taught on this subject for the last 25 years. Participants will have the chance to share opinions and experiences via online discussions, and often learn as much from each others as from the course and instructor.
- Foster effective communication between salespeople and production personnel to create profitable trade offs
- Describe the importance of communication between sales and marketing, and the manufacturing process
- Be familiar with and use the basic ‘4 Ps’ concept of marketing (product, price, place (distribution) and promotion), and the total product concept
- Explain the importance of understanding your customer.
- Describe basic sales techniques, selling solutions, and how to integrate sales in manufacturing.
- Differentiate between sales and marketing
- Describe the key components of a marketing plan
- Explain mass versus niche markets, customization, and types of retail outlets
- Describe niche and customisation strategies that can be employed to achieve competitive advantage over low-cost imports
- Explain the importance of responding to customer needs and be familiar with negotiation skills
- Explain the key points relating to green marketing